Friday, November 12, 2010

Awards, and running with no particular goal

First, as I think I mentioned, the race series put on by one of the running stores in the city gives points in each race for how you did in your age group, and at the end of the year you can potentially win a prize! Well, thanks to my dedication of showing up to every race, I managed to squeak into 3rd in my age group which meant that I won $50! Which is pretty awesome! I didn't really do that well in my age group (I think the highest I ever finished was 3rd, and for the rest it was 6th or...lower? higher? whatever, the direction away from 1st), but I still went to every race, so I got bonus points, which pushed me passed someone, and made sure I wasn't caught by the person behind me. On the plus side, it means I can improve next year, and hopefully finish higher. I also, sadly, did not win the trip to Vegas, but I DID meet Katherine, which was pretty awesome.

So now that my season is over until January or so, I have to figure out how to stay motivated through the next couple of months of running. On the one hand, I'm glad to not have to train for anything, and just go out for fun, but on the other hand, having a race does make sure I get out and actually do the run. Hopefully, the goal of running faster next season will get me out the door at least 3 times a week.

And for a bit of a rant - I don't quite understand the 'weekend warrior' term for running, particularly when it comes to longer distances, since, while I don't actually know as I haven't tried it, I'd imagine training once/twice a week on weekends for a race would be unbelievably hard. I mean, ok, my long runs are usually on weekends, and my weekday runs are fairly short when I'm actually training, but it's not just a weekend event. I spend a lot of time running, and while I'm not fast, I don't like the idea of people thinking I only run on the weekend, because I know I've devoted a fair amount of time (and money) to the sport. I don't know. Maybe it's just in my brain.

Have a lovely weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment